Northern Ireland

Studying in the UK

If you live in Northern Ireland and are applying to university in the UK you may be able to borrow money to cover the cost of your tuition fees.

The money will be paid directly to the university or college.

If you are not sure if a course qualifies for student finance, check with the university or college.

How much can I borrow?

If you live in Northern Ireland and study in Northern Ireland, you can borrow up to £4,275 for each year of full-time study.

If you study in England, Scotland or Wales you can borrow up to £9,250 if you study at a public university or college, and if you are studying part-time, you can borrow up to £6,935. This is because the maximum fee they can charge is higher than in Northern Ireland. You can borrow up to £4,275 if you study at a private university or college.

If you are doing an accelerated degree in England you can apply for up to £11,100.

Studying in the Republic of Ireland

If you study at a public university or college in the Republic of Ireland you won’t pay a tuition fee. You will need to pay an annual student contribution fee of €3,000 and you can take out a Student Contribution Loan for this.

Repaying your loan

Repayments start in the April after you finish your course, but only if you are earning over £18,935 per year.

Your repayments are collected with your tax or national insurance from your salary.

How to find out more about tuition fee loans

Student Finance Northern Ireland has more information about tuition fee loans.

GOV.UK has information on the cost of borrowing and repaying your loan.

You can also find advice and tips on MoneySavingExpert.


You don’t have to pay back a grant unless you have been paid too much. This can happen if you leave the course early or drop out.

The grant will be paid directly into your bank account.

Maintenance Grant

This is a grant to help you with your living costs while you are studying.

It is only available if your household income is £41,065 or less.

You can apply for a maintenance grant as well as a maintenance loan.

Special Support Grant

A Special Support Grant may be available if your household income is £41,065 or less and you meet the other eligibility criteria.

Maintenance Loans

There are also loans to help you pay for accommodation and other living costs. They are known as maintenance loans.

Maintenance loans are partially ‘means tested’ and are based on either your parents’ income or your own, depending on your circumstances. The more you or your parents earn, the less you’ll receive.

The loan will be paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. Your university or college needs to confirm your attendance before payment is made.

Maintenance loans are only available if you are under 60 in the first day of the first academic year of your course.

How much can I get?

The table below shows what you may be able to get.

Full time student 2019/2020

Living at home: up to £3,750

Living away from home, outside London: up to £4,840

Living away from home, in London: up to £6,780

One year of your UK course studying abroad: up to £5,770


Repayments for maintenance loans work in a similar way to tuition fee loans.

How to find out more about loans and grants

Student finance NI has more information about loans and grants.

GOV.UK has information on repaying your maintenance loan.

You don’t need to pay back a bursary, grant or scholarship.

Scholarships are generally for those who do very well academically, or excel in sport or music.

Bursaries and grants are usually awarded to students based on their personal circumstances. This could be having a low income or being from a background where fewer people go to uni.

How to find out more about bursaries and scholarships

University and college websites will have information about bursaries and scholarships. They will tell you what criteria you need to meet. If you’re not sure if you’re eligible then you can contact them.

You can find links to bursary and scholarship information on our course pages.

There is extra help available for:

  • Care leavers or students who are estranged from their parents
  • Students who have dependent children, or who are caring for an adult
  • Disabled students
  • Students who have a low household income.

Fee Waivers

A fee waiver is when a university of college pays part, and occasionally all, of a student’s tuition fee. This means you will need to borrow less money.

This is an option that might be offered to you if you’re on a low income.

Disabled students

If you are disabled or have additional needs, you may be able to get Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) to cover any extra study costs. This can include mental health conditions, epilepsy or dyslexia.

You will need to be assessed or provide evidence, but there’s money available to pay for:

  • specialist equipment or software
  • a non-medical helper
  • other things that help your studies such as travel, books, or printing.

Disabled Students’ Allowances do not depend on your household income and do not need to be paid back.

GOV.UK has more information about eligibility and maximum amounts for DSA.

Disability Rights UK has factsheets about DSA and other useful information.

Care Leavers

In addition to the bursaries and grants available to many other students, care leavers might be able to get extra help.


There are charities and foundations that can provide support.

Propel has been set up by Become, the charity for children in care and young care leavers, and has a wealth of information around financial support across the UK.

The Unite Foundation works in partnership with 27 universities across the UK and offers bursaries and scholarships. You will need to apply for these and they are not guaranteed.

University or college bursaries

Universities and colleges often have grants and bursaries for care experienced students. These may include:

  • fee waivers
  • fee reductions
  • reduced accommodation fees
  • bursaries.

You can check what you may be entitled to with your chosen university or college.

Estranged students

If you are estranged from your family, your parents’ income is not taken into account for student finance. You can also sometimes get extra help from other sources.

StandAlone is a charity that offers extra support for young people (18–25 years old for student finance) who become estranged from their family.

StandAlone students

Students caring for children or for an adult

You may be able to get help in the form of a grant. This does not have to be paid back and is on top of other student finance.

Childcare Grant (full-time students only)

Parents’ learning grant (full-time students only)

Adult Dependants’ Grant (full-time students only)

Travel Grant (available to students on eligible courses)

Child tax credit

Students experiencing financial hardship

Your university or college may give you extra money if you’re experiencing financial hardship. They will decide if you’re eligible and how much you will get. Check with them to see if you can apply.

Working while studying

Working while studying can help. You can work part-time while studying, as well as working during summer holidays.


If you do a degree or higher level apprenticeship, you will work alongside studying and be paid for it.

Your employer will also pay your tuition fees.

Find out more about apprenticeships.


You may be receiving larger amounts of money than you are used to managing. It’s important to budget so that you can make it last.

You can find advice on budgeting at:


Save The Student

You can apply for loans and grants from the government after you have been offered a place on a course.

How and when to apply for student finance

Deadlines given are to make sure that money is available for when you start your course. If you miss these, you can apply for funding up to nine months after you have started your course. But this will mean you will not have the money until up to six weeks after you have applied.

You will need a bank account to apply for student finance. There are a number of student bank accounts that offer a range of incentives. To be accepted you will need a confirmation letter from UCAS or from university.

For more information visit MoneySavingExpert - student bank accounts.

to top